Friday, August 5, 2011

Melissa Swift, Post-coursework

For the post coursework drawings, I wanted to explore a variety of the concepts we learned over the course of the week. I felt the best way to be able to compare the differences the concepts make on a drawing, would be to apply them to the same original drawing. All images are 3"x 9.5" and are a mix of pencil and marker. I began with an original sketch (not posted, as many modifications were made), and then constructed it using varied line weights in marker (drawing #1 on the left). I then wanted to see what kind of tensions the negative space could create and how the weight of the image would change (drawing #2, second from left). The third image shows my attention to the visual tensions created when considering the relationship between figure and ground. Finally, the image on the right shows the original drawing broken down into geometric shape, and the point-to-point relationships between the shapes.

All in all, I think working this way really allowed me to visually see how each component of last week's instruction really builds upon the previous element.

Hopefully you all enjoy seeing the progression as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment